Online Manga Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Online Manga Issues

Post by DF on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:59 pm

SO, what does everyone think of mangas getting taken down by the companies and the (OMG) popular mangas taken out, heck I haven't even finished it...
So, what do you think?

One Manga taken down...

~T

DF
n00b

Character sheet
Race: Vampire
Health Bar:
100/100  (100/100)
Class: Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Online Manga Issues

Post by sommerfugl on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:43 pm

I think it's a shame, really, because it will make it a lot harder for manga fans to discover new series. However, I don't think the scanlators will stop translating, right? If they release the chapters on file hosting sites, there's not much the companies can do about it.

On the other hand, though, I understand the authors for getting sad and angry over it. It's their hard work, after all, that's getting shared all across the internet without even a single penny payed. Although I'm not in the right position to say anything, as I only read manga online and download lots of music, etc., I can imagine it must be really frustrating. Drawing manga and making music are these people's jobs. That's how they make a living, just like I wash clothes to earn money. If the nursing homes suddenly stopped paying me for my work, I would get frustrated and annoyed.

Then again, I always thought occupations like artists, manga-ka authors, movie makers/actresses/actors, etc., are very hard to make a living off. (Unless you are very, very popular.) People want things for free now. I can very much relate to people who have better things to spend their money on than manga, books, CDs, movies, and all that. I used to buy lots of music, but I can't do that anymore. (At least not for a while.) It's robbing me, and I need to save for my education and general living expenses, like food and clothes, to mention some. Manga is not high on my list, to tell the truth.

Eh, yeah, now I'm rambling a lot, but as I said, I think it's sad (I will probably use a long time to remember that OM is not anymore when it's taken down), but at the same time, I understand the authors, to a certain extent. They don't sell very much in this digital and high-tech times, do they? And apparently what OM did was against the rules given by their host or whatever, so it had to happen one day, you know.

Ah well...
sommerfugl
n00b

Location : Soaring in the sky, resting on a flower, living the life and being free

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:51 pm

I agree with you, Jelly!

Well, I bought a few mangas myself in RL, but I can't afford to buy so many volumes (for examples Skip Beat!, it has over 20 volumes,) since each manga volume vary from 12$ to more. The anime series on the other hand, I saw Sailor Moon I think it was, and it was being sold for 44$ CAD. SO I don't think my mother would even let me spend that much on a useless thing that I can get for free in the net.

But yeah, I wouldn't like it either if I wasn't paid for my work, but maybe they could talk it out, form a big scanlation group, get donations from willing members, and maybe have a little talk with the Japanese production company. That way it'll be a win win for everyone.

~Toffee

Administrator

Character sheet
Race: Elf
Health Bar:
1795/1795  (1795/1795)
Class: Dancer

View user profile http://dreamflummox.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sommerfugl on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Yeah, that's a great idea, Toffee! It sounds like it could really work too. I would at least be willing to donate a little bit each month for the series I would really liked to see translated. I'm not into that many manga series right now, but let's take Kimi no Todoke and Sand Chronicles, for an instant. There must surely be more people than me dying to read translated chapters of those series, right? So if we just all got together, we wouldn't have to donate that much each, because the money would grow fast when there are many people, and hopefully that would be satisfying for the companies. I guess my example isn't all that good, but it's better than nothing. And let's face it, there will always be someone willing and capable of buying the actual manga, be it the Japanese readers or the American readers (if the series is licensed). Again, it's like with music: yes, many people download, bu there are also many people putting effort into buying the CDs and supporting the artists.

Well, that's my thoughts, anyway, hehe.
sommerfugl
n00b

Location : Soaring in the sky, resting on a flower, living the life and being free

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RamenFrog on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:11 pm

A weird idea came to me but...I wonder if its possible in the future to become affiliated with scanlator companies...we could work out your ideas out since they make perfect sense (and there IS a donate button at the top of this Forum). I'd imagine it might alleviate some of the tension in money issues regarding "piracy"

Same with music as well. Some imports are just so darn expensive to drag across the ocean but I'm sure people would pay if it was accessible on itunes (to a point obviously...not everyone is all good on it)

In anycase I'm counting down how long all these other manga sites last and estimating our chances of hosting Manga (unlicensed of course)
RamenFrog
Administrator
Administrator

Character sheet
Race: Vampire
Health Bar:
1800/1800  (1800/1800)
Class: Warrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BluYuri on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Hmmmm.. Where to start? I commented once on this topic before in another forum. I think if both sides could actually sit down I believe there is a solution.

Problem A - The Scanalators and Hosting sites for the most part are potentially making money off the posting of copyrighted materiel, after it has been translated.

Problem B - The creators and copyright holders of this work are upset by the huge numbers of people reading and enjoying their work yet they receive no compensation for this.

Partial solution - Since MangaFox and other sites have adds, they are reaping financial benefits from other peoples hard work. I mean, let's face it.. IF someone were to come and take your work and then get money for showing to people.. Wouldn't you be upset as well? Fine, let's try to fix that. What if the hosting sites and they publisher/creators sat down and hammered out a deal, yes, it's going to be complex, but here's my idea in a nutshell:

The sites have to change a little. They will need to make sure they start charging the ad companies (who have placed ads on their sites so people wishing to read the manga/comic whatever will see them) so, you charge them a per hit fee. IF your ad is seen by 1000 people, you pay me $1 or whatever is fair, for each ad you have on that page. So, the reader clicks on their favorite say, Naruto and up pops the page, and company 'X' has an ad on that page. That's 1/1000th of a dollar owed to the hosting site. So, the page gets say, 5000 hits a month. That's $5.00 the ad company owes the site. Multiply that by say the 25 pages in the chapter and that's $125 a month company 'X' (ad company) owes 'H' (host site). Each month.

Now, 'H' makes an agreement with 'P' the publisher to pay them 1/2 for each translated page they supply or 1/4 for each page that needs to be translated. That works out to $62.50 a month for a translated chapter, or $31.25 for an untranslated chapter. The other half of the fee $31.25 can pay for a scanalator team to work it. So, IF 'P' has 100 books on 'H' site, and all of them are doing those kinds of numbers or at least average out to such, (some books getting more hits then others) then 'H' pays 'P' $6,250.00 A MONTH or about $75K a year, for the book while it's popular. The other half of that money goes to paying for the site. Of course, rates and what not will vary depending on popularity and such, but all in all, it's simple...'A' pays 'H' to run ads, 'H' pays 'P' to provide books. IF a book is licensed and will be released to the world, then 'P' simply notifies 'H' and they take it down and replace it with the next book. If you do the math, for a smaller investment then you'd think, everyone could get a piece of the pie since it's the job of 'P' to pay the creator of the work.

In addition, 'P' get's to see how popular a particular title is without having to put it out 'hoping' people will buy it.

For those of you that complain there are no good retail outlets to allow you to buy these books. 'H" can also then host a retail page where they will sell you the newly licensed and translated books that you've been following online, so they have a built in consumer base.

Let's face it folks, it's a simple business set up. Now, if only people could see this as the opportunity it is! Instead, 'H' seems kind of greedy, since they run ads, and get you the consumer to come to them and see the ads for which they are making money and they don't want to share any of the benefits with the people that created the stories.. Hell, they could probably do the same thing with Anime if they wanted too.. really.. It COULD be PROFITABLE all the way around and the armies of lawyers they keep trying to line up to earn tons of fat fees have to go back to whatever they do while they are no suing people.

Think about it.. speaking of which, does anyone know how to get in contact with any of these companies? I'd be happy to help draft the initial deals.. and get things kicked off.. (with a small consulting fee of course.. - MANGA FOR LIFE!! Oh, me and mine would be all giggly with more books then we knew what to do with.. LOL)

BluYuri
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top